1000 Books Before Kindergarten
The Bernards Township Library invites you to take part in this free program which encourages you to read 1000 books with your child before he or she starts kindergarten. The goal of this program is to promote strong early literacy skills to children in order to send them off to school ready to learn to read. It is also a great bonding experience for parent and child!
How it works:
- Sign up online. Once we receive your registration, we will e-mail you a printable reading tracker. You can also register in person, at the Children's Desk.
- Read to your child, anywhere and anytime! Multiple readings of the same book is allowed and encouraged. Try reading ebooks, books in multiple languages- you can even count the books read to your children at storytime!
- Keep track of the number of books you have read by coloring in a paw on your reading tracker. The tracker also has a place to record some of your favorite books.
- After a sheet of 100 is completed, bring it to the Library. Add a sticker to our progress chart and pick up another sheet.
- When you reach 1000 books read, you will receive a certificate of achievement and have you child’s name placed on our wall of fame!
Want to keep track of all the titles that you read with you child? Download the 1000 Books before Kindergarten app available for iPhone and Android.
Need some help picking out books? Fill out this form and we will choose up to 10 books for you to pickup at curbside (or ebooks you can access through Cloud Library, Hoopla, Kanopy and Tumble Books).