Item request has been placed! ×
Item request cannot be made. ×
The Bernards Township Library provides Notary Public services for the benefit of the residents of our community and adheres to the highest standards of competence and responsibility in providing these services.
The Library Board of Trustees adopted the following guidelines in connection with the provision of notary services by Library staff.
- Bernards Township Library now offers notary services to patrons for a fee of $2.50 per notary stamp/seal. The fee is due at the time of service. Cash or checks are acceptable forms of payment.
- Notary services are available Mon-Fri from 11:00 am to 4:00 pm but please call ahead to confirm availability. Advance appointments are required for Saturday or evening notary services, which are available on a limited basis. Notary services are not available on Sundays. To check on the availability of a notary please call Reference or Circulation at 908-204-3031 (press 4 or 2).
- A notary appointment is generally limited to three notarial acts per visit.
- The Library provides only basic in-person notary services on a first-come, first-served basis. Staff Notary may decline to provide notary service if the customer, document, or circumstances of the request for notary service raise any issue of authenticity, ambiguity, doubt, or uncertainty. Notary laws are detailed in the New Jersey Notary Public Manual.
- Notary service is not available for:
- deeds, mortgages, or other real estate closing documents. These documents can require technical or legal knowledge that is beyond the scope of our service.
- USCIS Form I-9, Employment Eligibility Verification
- documents written in languages the notary does not read
- documents with blank spaces
- Copies made of documents to be notarized must be witnessed or completed by the notary. We do not certify copies of Vital Records.
- Staff Notaries are not attorneys licensed to practice law, may not give legal advice about immigration or any other legal matter, and may not accept fees for legal advice.
- Requestors must present a current, valid identification issued by a state or federal agency that includes the requestor’s photo, such as a NJ driver’s license, US military ID, or US passport.
- In situations where a witness is required, the requestor should bring one. Witnesses may not be solicited from patrons using the Library.