How Do I?
Residents and property owners of Bernards Township are entitled to free, full library privileges. Proof of residency or property ownership must be shown. Registration is for a defined period and must be regularly updated as appropriate.
Children age 12 and under can apply for a Library card in the Children’s Department. The parent/guardian must have a Library card in good standing, and be present when the child applies for the card. Children ages 13 and up may register for a Library card at Adult Circulation.
Members in good standing of libraries in communities participating in the following reciprocal programs are welcome to use their community’s library card at Bernards Township Library.
- Morris Automated Information Network (M.A.I.N.)
- Morris Union Federation (MUF)
- Raritan Valley Federation of Libraries (RVF)
- Open Borrowing Communities
Workers employed in Bernards Township may also be issued a free courtesy card by providing proof of employment in the township, e.g., current business ID or recent paystub.
Students who attend school in, but do not live in Bernards Township may also be issued a temporary library card by providing proof of school attendance, e.g., report card, tuition bill, or current student ID.
- New adult books, new large print, new audio books, children’s items, DVDs and blu-ray discs, music CDs, downloadable eBooks and audio books - 2 weeks
- Older adult books, large print, and audio books, teen books, book discussion kits, children’s parenting collection - 4 weeks
- Adult and teen magazines, video games and Nintendo game players - 1 week
- Museum passes - 1 day (longer on weekends)
- Rental DVDs and Blu-Ray discs - 2 Days (longer on weekends)
- Downloadable magazines - Unlimited loan
Return items 24/7 to our outside book drops. Return date is backdated to the previous pick-up from the book drop sites. Please return Museum Passes to Bernards Library or to the after-hours book drops located at the Library, not the remote book returns.
- The Hills - Hansom Road Clubhouse ; daily pick-up Monday – Friday
- Somerset Hills YMCA - 140 Mt. Airy Road ; weekly pick-up Fridays
- Bernards Township Library - after hours book drops located outside the upper and lower level entryways ; daily pick-up when the Library is open
- Ridge Oak Senior Housing (for use of Ridge Oak residents only) – Weekly pick-up Fridays
- Fellowship Village (for use of Fellowship Village residents only) – Weekly pick-up Thursdays
Yes, most borrowed Library items can be returned to the following libraries in our network of partner libraries. The items will be checked-in and removed from your Library Account at the time it is returned. They will then be sent back to the owning library. However, rental movies and museum passes must be returned here to Bernards Township Library. Library items cannot be returned to Bernardsville Library or Clarence Dillon Library in Bedminster.
There is a limit of 100 items checked-out on your Library account at one time. There is a limit of 3 downloadable eBooks and/or audio books on your Library account checked-out at one time. There is no limit to downloadable e-magazines.
- $.10 per day on most Bernards Township Library items
- Museum passes - $5.00 per day (no limit)
- New movies - $1.00 per day
Late fees accrue daily, until overdue materials are returned and may reach a maximum of $5.00 for each Adult and Teen item (except Museum passes), $3.50 for each Children’s item. Late fees will not be assessed on the Library's closed dates, or when the Library is unexpectedly closed for the entire day due to inclement weather or special circumstances. However, some items borrowed from other libraries in our network of partner libraries have different fees for late library items.
Fees are paid with cash or checks made payable to “Bernards Township Library”. The Library cannot accept credit cards or debit cards for payment.
Not finding what you need in our MAIN Library Catalog? Use JerseyCat, New Jersey's Virtual Catalog and Interlibrary Loan System, to search for and request materials by interlibrary loan from over 700 other New Jersey libraries. The items will be sent to Bernards Township Library for you.
You can search and request items online from any internet-enabled device. Set a password and you will be able to return to JerseyCat later to check on the progress of your loan. The staff at the Bernards Township Library will confirm your information and place the request with the other library. JerseyCat works best for materials that are at least a year old and NOT found in the MAIN Catalog. You are also welcome to contact the Reference Staff (908-204-3031, ext. 4) for assistance with requesting materials from other librararies.
Please allow seven to ten days for delivery, from the time you place your request. You will be contacted when the item arrives at the Library.
1) Pay the replacement retail price of the item. (ask us for the replacement price) 2) If an item is owned by a different library, please contact them for procedures. 3) After a lost item is paid, no refunds are given if the item is later found. 4) Overdue fees and processing fees are not added to the replacement cost for Bernards Township Library items.
Most Library items can be renewed twice if the item has not been requested by another Library patron. However, some items borrowed from others in our network of partner libraries have different renewal terms and are not renewable beyond the original due date.
There are several ways to renew your borrowed Library items:
- Visit the Library
- To renew Library items online 24/7, go to your online Library Account
- Call the Library to renew at 908-204-3031 ext. 2 for Adult and Teen items, ext. 3 for Children’s items
- • Text the Library @ 6676. Start your text with askbtl:
There are several ways to place a hold request:
- Visit the Library
- To place a hold request on an item online 24/7, go to your online Library account.
- Call the Library to place a hold request at 908-204-3031 ext. 2 for Adult and Teen items, ext. 3 for Children’s items
- Text the Library @ 6676. Start your text with askbtl:
- In the Catalog, select “Can’t Find It?” from the menu on the left; select “Request an Item” or "Search Other NJ Catalogs" from the drop down menu
- Visit the Library and place your request
- Call the Library at 908-204-3031 ext. 2 for Adult and Teen items, ext. 3 for Children’s items
- Text the Library @ 66746: Start your text with askbtl.
All of the Library's public computers are connected to the Internet and are configured with Office 2010 or 2016 software (Word, PowerPoint, Excel, Access, Publisher, etc.)
Two PCs at the Library also have Adobe Creative Suite 6 installed.
The Library offers printing from the public computers in both black and white (.15 per page) and color (.25 per page). The Library also offers free scanning services. Please visit the Circulation Desk or Reference Desk for assistance. The Library does not offer faxing service.
The Library has photocopiers available for public use. Prices for copies are .15 per page for black and white; .25 per page for color.
The Library provides free wireless access throughout the building to all visitors. No password is required. To use the service you must login in by clicking "Connect" on the screen that pops up on your device. If you do not see the screen immediately, open your web browser and visit www.bernardslibrary.org. Feel free to visit the Reference Desk if you have any questions or concerns about using our Wifi.
Would you like assistance setting up a new device, configuring your email, printing, organizing photos, learning how to download books? Come work with one of our Tech Teens. You will have the ability to work one-on-one with a knowledgeable volunteer. To check on availability of our Tech Teens, or to schedule an appointment, call (908-204-3031, Ext. 4) or visit the Reference Desk.